What to bring

• This should be an interesting topic. I'm curious about this as well.

On our first and so far only trip to Europe last year the two things that would have been nice were working cell phones and more batteries.

• Cell phones can definitely be a challenge when traveling abroad. There are many strategies that will work. For Americans it is important to realize that only AT&T and T-Mobile networks in the US are compatible at a technology level with the European networks. If you are on Verizon, for example, you have to make sure that you have a world phone in order to connect to their networks.

• It just so happened that I switched to AT&T a month before my trip. I also found a hack that unlocked my Galaxy S4, but not my wife's. So I could use a sim I purchased over there, but she could not. We choose not to pay the fees for her to have international calling.

• We have traditionally use Vodafone service when in Europe. You turn it on while in the US through Verizon and it "just works" when you are over there. They set you up with the correct SIM card and everything before you leave. Not cheap but it works well.

We have since moved to TMobile who offers unlimited plans that cover Europe too. So we should be able to transparently move back and forth between the US and overseas without needing to deal with phone plans at all.

• This past year of traveling in Europe and Central America we have been using TMobile and they have been just awesome. I've had no loss of service even living in incredibly remote areas. Their service has been amazing and so cheap.

• This past summer I had an unlocked GSM phone, the Nexus 6P. I purchase prepaid cards everywhere I went as needed. Maybe not as cheep as Tmobile, but no worries about opening and closing accounts.

Looks like your connection to Dont Forget to Pack the Kids Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.